CAEP Participants
We put learning to work!

Participant FAQ

Benefits of a CAEP Program
Who Can Participate?
What is the J1 Visa Program?
Add Education to Your Program
What is an Outbound Program?
What is a Domestic Apprentice?
Who is CAEP?
Build a Career with CAEP
Estimated Program Fees
What About Health Insurance?
What If I Cancel?
When and where do I send my arrival/flight information to?

Benefits of a CAEP Program:

  • Gain new knowledge and skills in your field of agricultural interest through on-the-job training
  • Improve your language and communication skills
  • Participate in cultural and social activities
  • Exchange ideas about agriculture and culture with your hosts
  • Learn about agricultural technology, management, marketing, and finance in your host country
  • Understand how people from different countries are connected, and how events in one place impact other countries around the world.


Who Can Participate?

To participate on a CAEP program, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be between the ages of 18 and 28 when your program begins (Enology program between the ages of 21 to 35).
  • Have an interest in agriculture and possess sufficient experience to benefit from the program
  • Have an interest in learning about another culture and sharing your home culture with people in your hosting community
  • Have the maturity necessary to live in a foreign country, away from your family and friends- meaning you can adapt to a different lifestyle and live together with people who have different beliefs and values
  • Have no personal or legal problems that will prevent you from benefiting from the exchange. You must disclose any actual or potential problems on your application
  • Be able to speak and understand English well enough to learn about the culture and agriculture during your program. It is not necessary to be fluent, but you must be able to understand daily conversation when you arrive
  • Be in good health


What is the J1 Visa Program?

A J1 visa allows you to enter the United States for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 (depending on the program) to learn by working. You are allowed to earn money while training at a pre-determined placement in the United States.

Following a successfully completed program, the J-1 visa allows you to travel the United States for 30 days before returning home.

Visas are provided by the U.S. Department of State and the CA Education Program (CAEP). You will need to apply for a CAEP program and you may then be issued a visa accordingly. An appointment at the U.S. embassy near you is required to validate the visa before entry into the United States is granted.

J-1 visa requirements:

  • Applicants must be 18-28 (21-35 for enology applicants), have conversational English skills, and hold a related degree and/or have 5-years experience in their requested field.
  • J-1 visa is provided by the U.S. Department of State and CAEP for training purposes in agriculture-related fields.
  • Visa application is coordinated by CAEP.
  • 24-hour medical/accident insurance required.
  • J-1 visa holders are able to move to different training sites/hosts within the U.S., pending CAEP approval.
  • J-1 visa holders will receive room and board plus a stipend.
  • J-1 visa holders must pay state (if applicable) and federal taxes.
  • J-1 visa holders are allowed 3 weeks travel for a 6 month or longer stay and 30 days of travel before or after visa dates.

Qualifications for the Trainee J-1 Visa Program

To qualify for a CAEP Trainee program, you must have either:

(1) a degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary academic institution outside of the United States AND at least one year of prior related work experience in the occupational field acquired outside the United States, or

(2) five years of work experience outside the United States in the occupational field.

Qualifications for Intern J1 visa:

To qualify for a CAEP Intern program, you must have either

(1) be currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree or certificate-granting, post-secondary academic institution outside of the United States, or

(2) have graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to your internship start date.


What is an Outbound program?

CAEP’s Outbound program is for citizens of the USA desiring to go another country.

Outbound Qualifications:

To qualify for a CAEP Outbound program, you must have either

(1) One year of domestic experience in a CAEP Apprenticeship Program, or

(2) Documented experience or education in your chosen program, or

(3) A strong desire and commitment to learn about the agricultural field and participate in an outbound program (with the pre-approval of CAEP)


What is a Domestic Apprentice?

CAEP’s Domestic Apprentice program is for citizens of the USA desiring to do an apprenticeship in the USA.

Domestic Apprentice Qualifications:

To qualify for a CAEP Apprentice program, you must have either

(1)Domestic 2 or 4 year students who are looking for validated internship in their current field of study OR qualified individuals who have a strong desire for learning skills within their chosen field through hands-on participation and validation, or

(2) Incumbent workers looking to expand their careers through further education and work experience in other related employment.


Who is CAEP?

  • A nonprofit membership based organization founded in 1972 in Fergus Falls Minnesota.
  • Responsible for authoring legislation for beginning farmers, farm apprenticeship, and state risk health pool
  • Current legislative activities focused on worker immigration
  • 25 years of experience in providing H & J visas to our members (over 20,000 visas issued  YTD in Agriculture)
  • Largest company in the U.S. that provides agricultural J-1 visas

H2-A visas to the industries of Agriculture, Horticulture and the Thoroughbred industry


Build a Career with CAEP

CAEP’s philosophy is “We Put Learning to Work.”  How do we do that?  It’s all about looking good to a future employer.

Most young people have received schooling at a technical school or university.   But what will set you apart from others like you?

The answer is experience!  CAEP program participants are unique because the skills they gain are documented over the duration of their international experience.   Those skills are then validated by the host employer so that trainees are able to show future employers their online CAEP resume which shows exactly what skills they completed, when they were completed and how they were completed!

If you choose to participate in additional CAEP programs, each host employer you are placed with will add to your list of validated skills.

What are you waiting for?  Go grab your piece of the world!


How do I apply?

  • Decide which CAEP program best fulfills your goals
  • Read through all of the program information
  • Determine in which country you would like to train
    • You may view the CAEP programs that are available in various countries by using the map feature on the landing page.
  • Begin the application process by clicking the “Apply Now” button on the main page or any of the program pages.


What About Health Insurance?

All J-1 visa holders are required to carry health insurance from the day they leave their home country until the day they return to their home country.

CAEP has a low-cost comprehensive policy option available to participants.


Estimated Program Fees

The program fees include all country partner fees and CAEP fees and can vary from country to country. CAEP program fees include: visa paperwork processing, placement, pre-departure preparations, program monitoring, orientation, and other assistance during program.

Government Visa Fees:  These are the collected fees that each embassy and country charges to process your application. These include the SEVIS fee of $180 USD, Embassy appointment fee of $160 USD.  Other fees may also apply at the embassy.

Travel:  Travel to your placement site is the participant’s responsibility. Travel costs vary by country and location in the United States.

If you have any other questions regarding fees for a CAEP program, please contact your country partner or your CAEP coordinator for more assistance.

NOTE: Specific charges for fees for Outbound students will vary by country and by the visa type needed to enter that country.


What if I cancel?

If you cancel your program or are denied a visa, the following rules apply:

Once the government fees are paid for your application, they are non-refundable, as these are paid directly to government agencies.

If you are not accepted as a trainee or we cannot find a placement for you, your deposit will be refunded.

If you cancel or are rejected because you gave CAEP false or incomplete information you may lose part or all of your deposit.

There are no refunds once you have arrived to your placement country.


When and where do I send my arrival/flight information to?

If you are accepted onto a program, have recieved a placement, and after you have taken your DS-2019 to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country and it has been validated, you should send your flight details to the CAEP office as soon as your arrangements have been made. The email that you should forward those details to is